With the cold weather in full swing, many people choose to drink warm beverages and forget all about drinking water. Just because it isn’t hot outside and we aren’t as active or sweating as much doesn’t mean our bodies don’t need water. They are made up of 60 percent water, therefore, it is vital to both our physical and mental health to stay hydrated.
One important way that I have found to make sure that I drink enough water, is to drink a big glass before I do anything else in the morning. That glass of water helps kick start my day and sets the tone for me. I also bring a 25 ounce water bottle with me to work every day. I’m not lucky enough to have a water cooler in my office, so I always make sure I am stocked up on large bottles of water to fill my handy bottle that I keep on my desk. If my water bottle is on my desk and in my line of sight, I will remember to drink regularly.
Here are some benefits to making sure you stay hydrated:
- -Staying hydrated improves your mood and fights off fatigue. This is the main reason why I make sure to drink at least 16 ounces of water first thing in the morning. It wakes me up and gets me going. A lack of water in the body’s system can cause a drop in blood volume, which then causes the heart to work harder to pump oxygenated blood around the body, hence the increased fatigue.
- -Drinking enough water every day will help improve the clarity of your skin. If you are prone to breakouts, or have dry, dull skin, you could be dehydrated. The skin is one of the first places to show signs that you need to drink more water!
- -Drinking a glass of water before every meal might also help in weight loss. It will trick your body into thinking it is full, which will then curb your appetite. Drinking water instead of all of the sugary drinks on the market will also help with weight loss.
- -If you are prone to headaches or migraines, increasing your intake of water might help keep them away.
- -Drinking plenty of water will help your kidneys stay in tip top shape. Drinking too little may lead to painful kidney stones. The kidneys play a vital role in our body’s function so staying hydrated is essential for their (and your!) health.
- -Water plays a very important role in your digestive health, as well. Without adequate water, your system could become backed up and constipated. The water helps dissolve fats and soluble fiber, which then continues on through the system.